For 51 years, Vanair® has worked hard to bring you the best Mobile Power Solutions® – consisting of air compressors, generators, welders, hydraulics, Electrified Power Equipment®, and engine starters – in our industry so that our customers can work hard in theirs. Being at the forefront of our industry and staying ahead of our competition is challenging, demanding, and involves working hard – but it is also rewarding!
If you like being challenged, want to be a part of something special, and desire being part of an exciting team that is always striving to be at the forefront of our industry, then we’re looking for you – a driven and motivated new team member.
We are currently seeking to hire an experienced Electrical Engineer at our location in Michigan City, Indiana.
As a member of the Engineering staff, the Electrical Engineer is responsible for the design of new products, prototypes, and carries through to full production. This Engineer will also be responsible for technical support of some mature products currently in production. This includes Code Changes, maintenance of Bills of Material, electrical schematics and drawings, assistance in troubleshooting and new installation verifications, design reviews, simple mechanical designs, documentation packages, pre-production builds and transfers to production.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides technical direction, serves as a point of contact or business liaison, prepares briefings for senior management and assists in problem resolution specific to the program / project.
- Designs and tests electrical and electronic products or systems.
- Designs and maintains electrical control systems and components to required specifications, focusing on safety, reliability, and cost.
- Creates wiring schematics, electrical harnessing, and Bills of Material relevant to electrical systems.
- Sizes and integrates overload and short circuit protections based on current applicable safety regulations, such as NEC, UL, and SAE.
- Writes manufacture and test procedures and reports. Participates in project teams and all activities related to the development and maintenance of products.
- Collaborates within the Engineering team to ensure design constraints are met, tested, and delivered on time and within budget.
- Provides technical support to Sales and Marketing for bids and proposals.
- Productively function in a fast-paced Engineering department that works intimately with manufacturing plant.
- Works cross-functionally with all other departments regarding electric controls and systems.
- Must be able to juggle priorities effectively.
- Must be able to transition from hands-on R&D or troubleshooting environment back to desk / office tasks effectively.
- Function well with group-oriented tasks, as well as solitary projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree (BSEE or BSECET) from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a job relevant to degreed field
- Experience in design, repair, and analysis of electrical systems.
- Experience with CAN communication (SAE J1939 preferred).
- Must have exposure to electrical engineering principles and methodologies.
- Demonstrated 2D CAD system proficiency (preferably AutoCAD).
- Exposure to C, C++, and / or other programming languages.
- Data logging and sensor interface experience
- Self-motivated, driven and goal-oriented
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of PID controllers
- CAN communication experience
- Vehicle speed control experience
- Knowledge of compressor systems
- Advanced degree (MBA / MSEE)
Vanair® offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- 401(k) with matching 5% contribution
- Employees are 100% invested in the 401(k) on day one.
- Premium low deductible comprehensive Health insurance including Vision and Dental
- Low employee contribution levels toward health care plans
- Health savings account (HSA)
- Flexible spending account (FSA)
- $1,000 Bonus Referral Program
- Profit Sharing
- Immediate eligibility for all 9.5 paid holidays
- Paid vacation days
- Paid Wellness Time
- $15,000 free life insurance policy
Great Work Environment
- Pleasant, clean, well-lighted environment
- First-of-the-month Friday company-supplied lunches
- Company Parties including Christmas Party, Santa for the Kids, Summer, Family Picnic, and more
- Local charity events
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.